- Gamma Aminobutyric Acid is the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter which plays a critical role in the sedative and depressive functions of the brain, and has been positively associated with the regulation of the sleep-wake cycle.
- Users often report an increase in dreaming intensity and duration.
- Supplementation has shown a 5.5 fold increase in plasma growth hormone levels 90 minutes after GABA administration.
- Common dosing is 2,000-5,000mg, with users reporting mild side effects such as tingling/flushing on the head and extremities with higher doses.
- MorphoREM contains a very efficacious but tolerable 3,000mg dose per serving.
- Skullcap is rich in a compound called Baicalein, which is a potent GABAA receptor activator.
- Elicits relaxing, sedative, hypnotic, and anti-anxiety effects.
- Increases deep sleep as well as REM sleep.
- Valeriana officinalis, also known as valerian root, is an herbal tea and supplement ingredient commonly used for its sedative and anxiety-reducing effects.
- Users often report having an easier, faster time falling asleep as well as an increase in sleep quality, primarily by enhanced GABA signaling.
- Shown to have similar sleep enhancing effects as prescription drugs but with less side effects.
- MorphoREM contains 500mg Valerian root extract per serving.
- Withania somnifera, commonly known as Ashwagandha, is an herb that is known to be an adaptogen. It reduces cortisol (the stress hormone), increases testosterone levels and reduces stress-induced side effects.
- Sensoril® is an Ashwagandha extract that is backed by several randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled human clinical trials and is more commonly known as a more relaxing and sedative form of Ashwagandha.
- Significantly reduces the immunosuppressive effect of stress.
- Improves physical performance.
- Reduces low-density Lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
- MorphoREM contains the research supported dose of 450mg Sensoril® Ashwagandha per serving.
- 5-hydroxytryptophan increases brain serotonin levels, which is one of the principal neurotransmitters involved in happiness and anti-depression. Its actions are more 'euphoric' or happiness inducing rather than stimulatory. 5-HTP has also been shown to increase satiety after a meal.
- A typical dose of 5-HTP is in the range of 300-500mg, taken either once daily or in divided doses. Taking too much 5-HTP or other serotonin boosting supplements can cause serotonin syndrome, or serotonin toxicity, so it is wise to supplement with the lower end of the efficacious dosing.
- MorphoREM contains a potent but safe 300mg 5-HTP per serving.
- The relaxing amino acid found in tea, theanine promotes relaxation without sedation; it helps you stay calm without making you tired or drowsy.
- Reduces stress and improves attention.
- Theanine helps take off the ‘edge’ of many stimulants, and a synergistic effect is seen when coupled with caffeine in promoting cognition and attention.
- Theanine is commonly dosed between 100-200mg prior to activity and higher doses for relaxation and stress reduction.
- MorphoREM contains 300mg L-Theanine per serving.
- Melatonin is a hormone secreted in the brain that regulates sleep. The primary use of melatonin as a supplement is to normalize abnormal sleep patterns.
- Other benefits of melatonin include general neuroprotective and beneficial eye health effects, as melatonin is a powerful antioxidant.
- Melatonin is not associated with negative feedback (when taking supplementation causes your body to produce less of a hormone). It is also not addictive, and is not toxic.
- For regulating the sleep cycle, doses between 500mcg (0.5mg) and 5mg seem to work.
- MorphoREM contains 5mg Melatonin per serving.